Friday, March 27, 2009

3-second sunrise, buttons and more dancing



३ सेकंड are the beautiful characters that appeared in my subject heading line this morning. And that's how I learnt that you can enable transliteration into Hindi at the click of a button on blogger. Technology really amazes me - even though it's driven by buttons and touches, much as cars are driven by steering wheels and crazy people. I tested some of this technology out by embedding the above 3 second video of yesterday's sunrise from my bedroom window here. It was meant to be a photo, but I pressed the wrong button on the camera and recorded audio and video instead. You see, I'm an involuntary button-pusher from way back.

Buttons seem to be playing a large role in blog and life at the moment. With a button I chose this blog's name (albeit accidentally), with a button I found the exotic Hindi element of this blog editor, and if you
push my buttons you will see me engage in evasive manoeuvres to avoid pushing yours back. I'm considerate like that.

Button-pushing, as opposed to bell-ringing, is actually a crucial part of modern life. Bell-ringing however, apart from evoking olde-worlde images of men in towers wielding long ropes, evokes for me the resonance of an old song by Anita Ward (listen to it here) which was remixed in the early nineties and became somewhat of an anthem. I may have been heard (whilst pointing fingers at the air, and wiggling my hips) to be singing 'you can ring my be-e-e-ll, you can ring mah bell' at certain undisclosed locations, at certain times of the night, at regular intervals during the nineties. Here's a reminder of what it was like back then if you care to investigate further. And before you ask, yes... I really was there.

A 21-year-old mate was telling me about this new song by Guru Josh called Infinity. Although I know of a re-release in 2008, I still can't bring myself to call this song 'new'. Seriously, I can see the original vinyl from here. And before you ask, yes... I really still own vinyl.

So as you can see I have one foot firmly planted in my past experiences, and the other stuck in the mud. Hurray for technology... now has anyone seen my daisy hat and doc marten boots?

For me, the dancing never stopped. I dance with life, technology, buttons, and even you if you'd care to visit.

Indeed, it's always a lovely night for dancing at my house. See a demonstration in this video by my young son.

And before you ask, yes.. it is hereditary.


No comments:

Post a Comment